Monday, July 29, 2013

MENTAL WORK, THE BIGGEST ANTS I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE & WARD TALENT SHOW "THING"

We've been working hard and have a few good investigators. I'm learning that just because someone is interested in the gospel or is willing to hear what you have to say, doesn't mean they are automatically going to get baptized, haha. It's a lot of hard work. Mental work, to really try and understand their needs, concerns, thoughts and feelings, as well as be in tune with the Spirit enough to know how to help them with those concerns, then have the diligence and patience to qualify for the gift of tongues to express all of what you've worked on. Investigators have no idea how much the missionaries care, love, think about constantly, ponder, and pray about them. It gives me a glimpse of Christ's charity towards all mankind. But, it's definitely worth it. Those hours and hours and sometimes days spent in preparation for 20 minutes of a quality, spiritual edifying lesson. I have sooo much to learn about how to do that effectively, but that's okay because I also have a lot of time to practice.

Its rained every day for about a week, but yesterday the sun came out for a little bit and it was beautiful. If it wasn't for all the concrete, this place would be a crazy jungle. Because I'm farther out in the most secluded spot in the mission, I get way more of that than any other missionary. I've never seen so much green, heard such crazy loud bugs, seen as many slugs, snails, centipedes, millipedes, spiders and some of the biggest ants ever in my entire life!

http://mormon.org/people

On another note! So, we were at a ward activity the other night, kind of like a talent show thing, but some people just did presentations. I'm actually not sure what it was, which is normal because I don't EVER know what's going on, haha. Anyway, one of our members showed us her "I'm a Mormon" video. It was like being hit with a ton of bricks! I had watched that video a dozen times before my mission and at the MTC, and I didn't even make the connection! I don't know why, she doesn't look any different. I just didn't recognize her. It's weird, though, because watching it now, I've walked those same streets in Yuen Long, and been to her house, met her husband (the guy with the sax, super funny and a pretty good soccer player). I also remember watching it for the first time in my living room and thinking, "THAT'S the language I'm supposed to learn?" And now, even though I still don't understand a lot of what is being said, I'm surprised at how much I do know. It was pretty cool. Another guy showed the music video for "Seasons in the Sun" by... I think his name is Terry Jackson or something. It was suppper funny and reminded me of dad, haha, the good oldies stuff.

So, next week is our last week of this move, but I think I'll stay in Kam Tin for at least another move. That's what the norm is anyway, or so I've been told, so we'll see. We've been working hard, and God has blessed us with a greater abundance of faith, and for that, I'm thankful. Thanks for all those who write to me. It means so much. I love you all. Keep the faith.

Love,
Elder Mikesell

No comments:

Post a Comment