Monday, August 19, 2013

THE MYSTERY BEEPS, TYPHOON, WORKING HARD & MHDAKHAN (TOO BUSY) FOR CHRIST!



Hey! So this week has been pretty challenging... I've spent a week speaking very little English and very little understandable Chinese,  hahaha, but my summer missionary companion who's name is also Mahk (though that's his real last name) is awesome. He's 17, and his brother is actually a missionary here in Hong Kong right now. He's a really hard worker and never complains. We've done a loooot of finding this week with not a ton of success, but he doesn't let that get him down. We've got another week together, so I'm hoping to make some progress. 


THE BEEPS... It's a mystery!
In other news, we got an apartment phone! The land line has been broken, but we got it fixed. I know that's not the most exciting thing in the world, haha, but the story isn't finished.. So, we got the phone fixed, but at random times it will ring and then when you answer, no one is on the other line. It just goes dead.. kinda creepy, right? We call it THE BEEPS... It happens at least a few times a day, and it's acually more annoying than anything else, haha. 



Oh, also, we had a typhoon come close to shore this week. The warning level got up to a level 9 which is pretty intense, but most of it was during the night and in the morning, so we only had to stay in our apartment for an extra 2 hours before the warning went back down to a 5,  and we could go out. I was kinda hoping we'd get a hard core typhoon,  but twas not so. Where we are in Kam Tin, there was a lot of wind and more rain than I've ever seen in my life. Other than that, we've just been doing what we always do. Work hard. We were told in our last zone conference that we aren't allowed to have backpacks anymore while finding, they want us to use shoulder/messenger bags. I'll just buy one here becasue it would be cheaper than you sending me one. They are pretty cheap in American dollars.

Also, I thought of something I wanted to share on a spiritual note that I just remembered. We were paking muhns the other day (knocking doors) and a man opened tho door, and we told him who we were. He responded with the usual "mhdakhan" which is busy, or not free right now. That's how they reject us, anyways, after he closed the door,  we turned to go and someone else inside yelled "Who was that?" and the man responded "JESUS." In Chinese  to say christian you just say "Christ church" but people will sometimes just call us "Jesus people" or even shorter, "Jesus". When that happened, I thought about what if Christ really was at the door? Would he still slam it? As missionaries, we are literal representatives of Christ, and in more sense than one. Christ was rejected by the people who proclaimed to be waiting for him. By the people He saved. As I get rejected by literally dozens and some times hundreds of people per day (like if we're finding at Long Ping Bridge, where there are a ton of people), I experience some of what Christ experienced, in an infinitely tiny amount. I understand the atonement more because of it. Just a thought. Make sure we aren't closing the door, because we are "mhdakhan" or too busy for Christ in our lives. 

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormon-missionary-life

I love the second one! It really hit home!

I love you! Keep the faith!

Love,
Jay

And the picture with the t-shirt... I don't think Alec knew what it said when he sent it to me. I just got down to the bottom of the box with all the treats that it came in and saw it. It basically says "hooray" for some communist leader in China. Seeing how I am definitely not communist, nor is communism popular here in Hong Kong, I definitely can't EVER where this shirt! Thanks, Alec!

No comments:

Post a Comment