Tuesday, February 18, 2014

MY FIRST BAPTISM! I WAS GLAD I WAS ABLE TO BE THERE START TO FINISH!

 
 
So, this week was pretty crazy... We had moves and none of us thought we were moving, but it ended up being that about half of my district left... My companion was replaced with Elder Phillips, who is cool. I served in the new T's with him last summer, so I know him a little. Elder Martinez left, which made me sad, but he was replaced by Elder Walter who I lived with in Yuen Long, so we are like best friends, and one of the sisters got replaced.
 
I'll be honest, I was a little scared to find out that my companion was white... it will be the first time I've had a companion who hasn't had perfect Cantonese! We'll see how it goes. He came in 1 move after me, but his Chinese is really good. It really wasn't the best time to have moves though. One, because it was pouring rain on move day which made it supper annoying and hard. Two, because we had 4 baptisms on Sunday! My companionship had Sister Chan, Aberdeen 1 had Justin and Heidi, and the sisters had Sarina.. so to change right before the baptisms was hard, but we got it done. The ward did a great job helping us get everything together and ready for the baptisms. I don't know if there has ever been 4 baptisms in a day before, in one ward, but they handled it really well. Originally, Elder Lam (my old companion) was supposed to baptize Sister Chan, but after he left she wanted me to do it. It was scary but really cool. I didn't want to mess up the Chinese, but we only had to do it once, so it was ok. I'll send you some pictures, it was a great experience! She was super prepared, and I feel like I didn't really do much, but I'm grateful to have been able to meet her and introduce the gospel to her.
 

 
Last week we went to her house to help her change one of those big long light bulbs on her ceiling.. I had never been to her house before, but when we got there I was pretty amazed. Her entire apartment is about the size of my room back home. Maybe 10ft x 10ft including kitchen and bathroom. and she lives there with her two kids. She has to sleep on the floor... anyways, it was humbling. She is doing well and is already a great missionary, inviting friends to her baptism and teaching them the gospel and everything. Super cool. Very few missionaries in the mission actually find, teach and baptize the same person because it takes so long for people to accept the gospel, it usually overlaps moves and missionaries leave, but I was glad I was able to be able to be there start to finish with her. We are hoping to get some more success in the future, need to work harder for sure. 
 
Thanks for everything. Love you all lots, keep the faith, never quit, just keep swimming...
 
Love, Elder Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment